Gourock Medical Practice

01475 607177
Repeat Prescriptions
Option 2 - available 24 hours

Sick certificates

Taking sick leave  – Self Certification

Employees only need a fit note (sickline) from a doctor after 7 days  of being off work sick.  Your employer may however require you to complete a [highlight]self certification[/highlight] form (SC2) which you can fill out if you were off work 7 days or less. Employers usually provide their own version of this form or if you are required to provide your own form you can find it here; Self Certification Form

For more information on self certification please visit Gov.uk

Statement of Fitness for Work – ’Fit Note’

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay). Hospital doctors or GP’s can issue a ‘fit note’ (previously called a ‘sick note’ or medical certificate). They can charge a fee if a fit note is asked for before the 7th day of you being off work.

However, this will also depend on your employer’s company policy on sick leave (or sickness absence). This policy should tell you how many days you can be off sick before you need to provide proof of illness or a fit note.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Fit for Work

Once your existing note expires, you are automatically deemed ‘fit for work’. You do not need a ‘Fit for Work’ note.  Please see the guidance to employers and the specific guidance on page 2:

“Your employee can come back to work at any time

even if this is before their fit note expires.

They do not need to back to their doctor first”

For more information see the DirectGov website